Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day Weekend to all the DADS

I am thankful that I had my stepfather in my live to aide my mother in raising me. He did the best that he could with the knowledge that he had and for that I am FOREVER grateful.

I hope you all take time to honor the fathers in your life this weekend.

I was reading on MSN's website a feature from different people talking about what they learned from their father. Well, I know who my father is but I have yet to meet him. I believe I came close to meeting him when I found my "grandmother" in the Bronx. My mother mentioned a Noel Brown that may be his sister, well come to find out, Noel is his mom. I spoke to Ms. Brown and gave her my name, age, location. I also mentioned that my dad met my mom in D.C. while she was in college in the 70's. She confirmed that her son also was in D.C. in the 70's. She also confirmed his birth date and every other piece of information that I gave her. Well, I asked if she could give him my number to call me or give me his number she said she would ask him.
I called her back after a week or so and she said that he said no, that's all he said. NO!
My heart sank and it really hurt that he didn't even want to talk to me.

I guess maybe it could be a blessing in disguise that he is not in my life. I still would like to meet him and the rest of the family.

Well this Father's Day I take this moment to give respect to my stepfather who was there through it all.

He taught me many valuable lessons in my life and although he was not a perfect father he loved me enough to raise me as his own. He even wanted to adopt me and for me to take his last name.

Lessons from my father:
1. Don't make any excuses.
2. Be a person of your word, character counts.
3. Alcohol can damage a relationship. ( he was an alcoholic as long as I can remember)
4. Gambling is not for me! We used to play card games when I was a child and when he won he would keep my money. To this day I have yet to gamble, not even played lottery.

Take Care!

No comments: