Saturday, July 5, 2008

POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME (PCOS)

I have PCOS and this is my first time ever speaking about it. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is an endocrine disorder that affects 10% of all women. The most common factor is that is causes infertility in women of childbearing age. There are several symptoms:
* lack of ovulation
* Weight problems- mainly weight gain
* Irregular periods
* Hirsutism: increased hair on the body and face
* Hair Loss
* Acne
* Depression

Treatments include: diet (low glycemic diet, medications, fertility treatment, and alternative therapies. Women with PCOS can get pregnant and the symptoms can be managed with proper treatment with a doctor experienced with PCOS.

Anyone with this disorder should consult with a physician as I am NOT a doctor nor a licensed professional. I am just speaking about my own personal experience.

I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years after the birth of my son. I have struggled with weight gain, mood swings, facial hair and unpredictable periods. Sometimes my periods can last for 6-9 months then I can go 9 months without one. I can say that having an ongoing menstrual cycle for months on end can be one of the most miserable feelings EVER! I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I constantly pluck the hairs from my chin and battle with my ever changing moods daily. My hair is thinned out and I notice that I am losing lots of hair everyday.

I was rejected medical coverage from Blue Cross Blue Shield because my BMI was too high. So, I am now trying the natural route with low glycemic diet, vitamins and herbs. My weight has ballooned up and it's out of control. I feel like a walking PMS Monster sometimes. There are times when I have to let my husband and son know that I desperately need a time out. God bless them for putting up with me. So many times family members will ask when I am planning to have my next child and I just can't bring myself to explain. I believe my speaking out about it will free me and hopefully help others.

My gynecologist couldn't put me on birth control pills because of my high blood pressure. Well, I am at the point where I am ready to have another child and it pains me that I can't. My husband wants another child and I do too. He longs to have a brother or sister and I so desperately want this for him as well.
There were times when my story reminded me of Matthew 9:20-22.

20And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood twelve years, came behind him, and touched the hem of his garment:

21For she said within herself, If I may but touch his garment, I shall be whole.

22But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from. that hour

She exercised her faith by doing. She felt that by touching the Lord's garment she could be healed. Awesome story!

Oh yea, here is a GREAT support, information and friendship!

Keep me in your prayers as I continue on my journey at stomping PCOS!

Click here for more information at the Soulcysters Site!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Whoever it may concern I just want to let the entire world know how grateful I am today is my sons 2years birthday and am dedicating it to telling every one how I got my lovely child, I have been married for so many years without any child because of this my husband no longer love me and am 34years old I became worried I tried so many means both scientific and other wise with no result, my whole life was upside down I prayed both day and night I went to the hospital but the doctor said there is nothing wrong with me,so I decided that maybe its not my destiny, so one day as was browsing the internet I saw a testimony of a great spell caster Priest Babaka so I copied the email and I sent him a mail he replied me and I told him all my sorrow and pain,he then told me that I should wipe my tears with such comforting words he told me to buy some items that his going to use to cast the pregnancy spell I did and he made the spell for me and told me when next I meet with my husband I we conceive,at first I thought it was a scam but I just followed my inner mind and I sent the money for him to buy all the items after some months I went to check with my doctor and I was 4weeks pregnant, thanks to Priest Babaka spell temple,I want to use this medium to tell everyone having similar problem to contact Priest Babaka for help this his personal email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com thanks to Priest Babaka once again and happy birthday ALEX mummy loves you.